Thursday, January 9, 2014

The power of words

Hello everybody,
        Today I wanted to say a few words about.. well....WORDS!! It's a new year and a time when most of us are thinking about goals we want to accomplish, new things we would like to try or tasks we would like to complete etc. but how many of us take time to think about improving the way we speak to others or about situations? You remember that old childhood saying about sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me? Not true........words are very powerful!! As a matter of fact God tells us in his word that the power of life and death are in the tongue and those who love it will eat it's fruit, Proverbs 18:21 What does that mean?  Well if we choose to agree with God's word, which by the way is the most powerful words on earth or in heaven and to speak what he says about us and our situations, we will have that which he says and we will eat that good fruit. If however we speak  negative or harmful words, then we will have that bad fruit or circumstances in our life. We might not be able to keep a bad thing from coming our way, but we can change our outcome by the words we choose to believe and say.
       Words are not just powerful in our own lives, but also in others that we speak to. Have you noticed we live in a society that feels its an admirable thing to really tell someone off and exactly how you feel?  God tells us in his word that He who has knowledge spares his words and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit and that even a fool is considered wise when he holds his peace, when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.  Proverbs 17: 27,28  Now I'll admit that this is not always easy, but that's part of what makes it so admirable, all of the world can lose their temper, tell someone off and get the last word in, or put people down, so what's special about that? NOTHING! All of the world is doing it!!
       I don't know about you, but I want to be thought of as someone that uses her words for good , to build up instead of criticize, to speak peace instead of strife, to soothe a hurting soul, to speak Gods solution instead of my problem, to speak Love instead of hate! My prayer for this year is, Set a guard O Lord over my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips Psalm 141;3.
       Now I leave you with this challenge, go get your Bible, read through all of Psalms and proverbs and mark every verse that talks about our words, lips, and tongue, what we should say and what we shouldn't , you'll be amazed at just how much power words really do have!!! Now I invite you join me and try to use your words wisely, Lets be truly unique!! Till next time, Love and blessings to you all,
                                                                                                           Teresa

5 comments:

  1. First, thank-you for visiting my blog, and leaving a kind word. 2nd, OUCH ! Pretty much most of my troubles throughout my life have resulted in using words in one way or another. Through letters, conversations, and often words expressed with well-meaning cost me the most. Well-meaning defined by ME thinking I was well-meaning, but if I had paid more attention to God's Words I might have spared myself some pain. But I am so fortunate God is merciful & forgiving...and maybe before I doe I'll learn even more about minding my P's & Q's.

    Well said , and uplifting & encouraging. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy and I know just what you mean, I can't tell you how many times I've regretted my words. but you are so right God's forgiveness and mercies are new every day Thank you Lord!! I hope you'll stop by again!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very good post! I so often have found myself stumbling in this area. It is definitely learned to have control in this area. So many times we regret things we have said....but you are right I am so thankful for God's Mercy.
    Love ya,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Jo,
      Its an area we all struggle with, I think that's why Gods word has so much to say about it, and I also believe we have to train ourselves, it is definitely learned behavior to control our mouths! very hard sometimes!
      Love You always,
      Aunt Teresa

      Delete
  4. That's a good challenge! I have regrets about words I have spoken. We are fortunate that God forgives if we ask for his forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete